I hope everyone had a blessed and wonderful holiday celebration with their loved ones. I am sure you ate great and now have a little belly action as a result. I am here to tell you that all is not lost and give you some small tips to help you get back to feeling great!
If you have not already started enjoying the weather we are having in Chicago, please go for a light 15-20 minute walk. This will get you started by warming up your muscles and allow you to fully reap the benefits of a post-holiday workout. Make sure you drink lots of water prior to and after your walk.
After you go for your walk, you are going to need to stretch out those muscles you just warmed up. Nothing too major, you can do a toe touch, hamstring and calf stretch and make sure to stretch your arms and neck as these can be the tightest areas in your body and where most people carry their stress.
From there, you should begin with setting your intention: “Today I want to workout for (choose your time frame).” Then, begin your workout. I’ve listed below some exercises you can use in your practice; however, you are more than welcome to create your own workout.
- Jumping Jacks: 3 reps of 15
- Squats: 3 reps of 15
- Lunges: 3 reps of 15 on each leg
- Arm Circles: 30 forward & 30 backward
- Push-Ups: 10-20 (or however many you can do with proper form still intact)
- Plank: Hold for 30 secs – 1 minute
- Alternating Push-Up Plank: 3 reps of 15-20
- Tricep Dip: 3 reps of 10-15
- Hip Raise: 3 reps hold for 20 secs each
- Sit-Ups: 3 reps of 10-15
- Leg Spreaders: 3 reps of 15
- Supine Bicycle: 3 reps of 20 to each side
Cycle through each exercise and rest for 30 secs – 1 minute in between reps. You can also take a rest for 15-30 secs every time the exercise switches focus to a different area of the body.
I hope you find this helpful and that you have a great new year of healthy choices in front of you. Enjoy!