Chakra – The Sankrit word for wheel or disk
In terms of Ayurveda, yoga, or meditation chakras are the energy wheels that are aligned along the spine; starting at the base of your spine and going all the way up to the crown of your head. There are seven (7) main chakras and the energy that travels between the chakras is called Prana — vital life force energy.
When your chakras are balanced, energy flows seamlessly through your body and you feel great. However, when your chakras are imbalanced, one might experience things such as headaches or anxiety. The seven (7) main chakras are:
- The Muladhara is the chakra of stability, security, and our basic needs. It encompasses the first three vertebrae, the bladder, and the colon. When this chakra is open, we feel safe and fearless. This chakra is represented by the color red.
- The Svadhisthana chakra is our creativity and sexual center. It is located above the pubic bone, below the navel, and is responsible for our creative expression. This chakra is represented by the color orange.
- The Manipura chakra means lustrous gem and it’s the area from the navel to the breastbone. The third chakra is our source of personal power. This chakra is represented by the color yellow.
- Anahata. Located at the heart center is at the middle of the seven and unites the lower chakras of matter and the upper chakras of spirit. The fourth is also spiritual but serves as a bridge between our body, mind, emotions, and spirit. The heart chakra is our source of love and connection. This chakra is represented by the color green.
- The Vishuddha chakra is the fifth chakra, located in the area of the throat. This is our source of verbal expression and the ability to speak our highest truth. The fifth chakra includes the neck, thyroid, and parathyroid glands, jaw, mouth, and tongue. This chakra is represented by the color blue.
- The Ajna chakra is located in between the eyebrows on the forehead. It is also referred to as the “third eye” chakra and is our center of intuition. We all have a sense of intuition but we may not listen to it or heed its warnings. This chakra is represented by the color indigo.
- The Sahaswara chakra or the “thousand petal lotus” chakra is located at the crown of the head. This is the chakra of enlightenment and spiritual connection to our higher selves, others, and ultimately, to the divine. This chakra is represented by the color violet/purple or white.